Market Focus: Storm Watch
- Jun 18 The Truth About Agressive Return Assumptions and Reaching for Yield by Danielle Park
- Jun 18 When You Need to Disappear by Mark Nestmann
- Jun 17 American Economic Calamity Predicted in 1857 by JR Nyquist
- Jun 14 How the USA Captures Whistleblowers and Other Political Enemies by Mark Nestmann
- Jun 14 America the Cautious: Risk Taking in Decline by Monty Guild Tony Danaher
- Jun 13 The Risk of Government Policies and the Rationing of Retirement by John Mauldin
- Jun 12 Felix Zulauf: Japan Will Be the Root Cause of the Next Global Crisis by FS Staff
- Jun 10 Going to Extremes: Why Weather Patterns Are Becoming More Expensive by Evelyn Browning Garriss
- Jun 10 Economic Recovery vs. Government Intervention by JR Nyquist
- Jun 10 Collateral Transformation: The Latest, Greatest Financial Weapon of Mass Destruction by John Butler
Puru Saxena: China’s Real Estate Bubble Is a Disaster Waiting to Happen
Jim welcomes back Puru Saxena, Editor and Founder at Money Matters and Puru Saxena Limited in Hong Kong. Puru is very concerned about the real estate bubble still building in China. He notes there are “ghost cities” all over China and it will end very badly. Even prices in Hong Kong are out of control. Puru sees the most value currently in US real estate and stocks, and is his moving his investment assets to the US. He sees Europe as a mess, Japan as a mess, and China as the next major bubble to burst. Given those assessments, Puru believes the US is by far the best, and safest, place to invest in the current environment.
Felix Zulauf: Japan Will Be the Root Cause of the Next Global Crisis
Jim is pleased to welcome back Felix Zulauf, president of Zulauf Asset Management AG and Co-CIO of Vicenda Asset Management AG in Zug, Switzerland. Felix and Jim cover a wide range of global macro issues, including today’s deflationary environment versus the inflationary 1970’s, Japan as the likely catalyst of the next global crisis, why the bond market is in trouble, and that gold could decline before another buying opportunity. Felix also does not believe that the Fed will ease off its QE program in 2013.
Harry Markopolos: No One Would Listen
Jim is pleased to welcome Harry Markopolos CFA, the man who blew the whistle on Bernie Madoff and the largest Ponzi scheme in history. His book is titled “No One Would Listen: A True Financial Thriller”. Harry discusses how both the SEC and the financial industry ignored his warnings of obvious fraud for years before it all came tumbling down in 2008. Harry tells a fascinating story of money, corruption and power, and how a massive financial fraud such as the Bernie Madoff case could happen again.
Jens O. Parsson: Author of “Dying of Money”
Jim is pleased to welcome Ronald Marcks, who under the penname Jens O. Parsson wrote “Dying of Money” in 1974, as double-digit inflation was heating up in the US. In his book, Mr. Marcks wrote of the German inflation of 1914-1923, and the rise of the American inflation of the late 1960’s into the 1970’s. Jim and Mr. Marcks discuss the parallels of Weimar Germany to what is happening today. They also discuss the phenomenon that every burst of monetary inflation has been followed by a stock market rise and boom in prosperity and every contraction by a stock market fall and recession. Mr. Marcks sees a “latent inflation” in the US, as the money supply has increased much faster than prices for the last three decades.
Market volatility and the breakdown of fundamental and technical indicators are only a few signs. There are others which are more subtle and not visible to the human eye—below the surface. They show up in bear-o-metric readings of the nation's money supply, credit expansion and the breakdown of corporate earnings. With all of these readings, we know that a storm is coming. The question is: "What kind will it be?"
—Jim Puplava, The Perfect Financial Storm Part 3