Market Focus: Storm Watch
- Aug 19 Ebola: Largest Outbreak on Record Takes Toll on Local Economies by Global Risk Insights
- Aug 15 Great Graphic: U.S. Household Debt Has Barely Fallen by Marc Chandler
- Aug 15 News: Gold Takes a Momentary Hit; Soros Bets on Stock Crash; Ukraine Destroys Armored Russian Convoy by FS Staff
- Aug 15 Bonds Persist in Their Warning About the U.S. Economy by Sy Harding
- Aug 14 Russian Bear Rattles Markets, But PPT Rides to the Rescue by Gary Dorsch
- Aug 13 New Yuan Loans and Shadow Banking Collapse in China; Record Bank Deposit Slump by Michael Shedlock
- Aug 13 The Religion of Doom and Gloom by FS Staff
- Aug 12 The Interest Rate Conundrum: Flight to Quality or U.S. Slowdown? by Chris Puplava
- Aug 12 The Death (or Rebirth?) of Money: An Exclusive Interview With Jim Rickards by John Butler
- Aug 11 Loose Policies From Beijing Help Pump the Credit Bubble by Sober Look
Senator Alan Simpson: Future Entitlement Problems Haven’t Gone Away – Only a Crisis Will Force Congress to Act
Jim welcomes back Alan K. Simpson, retired US Senator from Wyoming. Senator Simpson gives an update the National Commission on Fiscal Responsibility and Reform and if the “kicking-the-can-down-the-road syndrome” will ever reach the end of the road.
Jim Puplava’s Big Picture: Be Greedy When Others Are Fearful, and Fearful When Others Are Greedy
Jim’s first Big Picture topic this week is a reference to the Warren Buffett quotation. He uses this sage market advice to critique the “fear” industry, which is always trying to scare investors, no matter the economic fundamentals or reality. The second topic is “A Guaranteed Stock Market Correction”, which refers to...
The IMF’s Laura Kodres on the Shadow Banking System and Future Risks
Laura Kodres, an expert on systemic risks and macro financial linkages at the IMF, explains shadow banking, the pivotal role it played in the last financial crisis, the intended and unintended consequences regulatory efforts have had since then, and some of the current worries that are starting to build around the globe, most notably in China.
The Big Picture: Erik Townsend on “The Relentless Bid”
Erik Townsend sits in for Jim this week on the Big Picture. Erik’s first topic is “The Relentless Bid”. Erik looks at why the stock market has seen such an unprecedented and nearly non-stop rally for the last five years...
Market volatility and the breakdown of fundamental and technical indicators are only a few signs. There are others which are more subtle and not visible to the human eye—below the surface. They show up in bear-o-metric readings of the nation's money supply, credit expansion and the breakdown of corporate earnings. With all of these readings, we know that a storm is coming. The question is: "What kind will it be?"
—Jim Puplava, The Perfect Financial Storm Part 3