Welcome to the updated Financial Sense! We hope you enjoy the new experience.

We have changed payment processors, so any existing renewals will need to be re-subscribed after expiration. You will receive an email when this happens. Also Subscriber Feeds for iTunes and RSS have changed. Visit your Subscriber Features to find updated information.

Watch this video for a quick overview or send us a message using the Contact page. Thank you!

Charts: MASSIVE Speculative Bets on Gold - Bremain Vote Could Lead to Major Selloff

Mon, Jun 20, 2016 - 11:04am

Fears over a possible Brexit this Thursday have pushed speculative bets on gold to the highest level in twenty years.

Non-commercial traders (i.e. speculators or "dumb money") are often considered a contrarian signal since they tend to be net short (bearish) at major bottoms and net long (bullish) at major tops.

Non-commercial traders have now pushed their speculative bullish positions even higher than the 2011 peak.

non commercial gold positions
Source: Bloomberg

Commercial traders tend to display the opposite behavior—net long at major bottoms and net short at major tops—which is why they are oftentimes referred to as the smart money. They are now the most short or bearish since gold's last major peak.

commercial gold positions
Source: Bloomberg

As you can see from the charts above, both commercial and non-commercial traders dramatically reversed their positions starting this year in 2016.

If a large amount of this positioning is related to speculation or hedging surrounding the upcoming Brexit vote on June 23rd, which could have massive implications for the banking system as a whole, a vote to remain in the EU may lead to a dramatic selloff as speculators unwind their massive bets.

If, on the other hand, UK citizens actually vote to exit the EU, the potential uncertainty resulting from this would presumably benefit gold and prove "dumb money" speculators correct. Prediction markets are currently putting a lower probability on this scenario at 26% odds for a No/Exit vote and 74% for a Yes/Remain. At this point, a vote to exit would be a major surprise.

brexit odds
Source: PredictWise

For a complete archive of our podcast interviews on finance, economics, and the market, visit our Newshour page here or iTunes page here. Subscribe to our weekly premium podcast by clicking here.

About the Author

Webmaster, Senior Editor, & Co-Host
cris [at] financialsense [dot] com ()
Financial Sense Wealth Management: Invest With Us
Subscribe to Financial Sense Newshour on iTunes